Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sunday September 6 thoughts

Lots happening in my life. First of all, yesterday Barb & I were actually re-married in the Catholic church. Father Tom presided and Dina & Michael were our able Maid of Honor and Best Man. It was kind of chilling to see that my wife apparently still loves me so much that she wanted to do this. She is my best friend. Observing were Grace, Dolly & John Imbrunone (and Sylvia), Michael's Mom, Toni Koop and his sister Mary Blackstock. Oh, Father Collins, visiting from Africa, also stood by Father Tom's side during the service. Observation, that morning when Barb came down I said to her "Happy Wedding Day" and she stopped and gave me the sweetest smile I've seen in awhile. Score one for Larry! After the ceremony, we went to Carrabas for dinner. Toni & Mary had other plans so they didn't come. We had a nice dinner and good company.
Michael is building a tool shed for Mary at the farm. I have been trying to help out but with my back, I've been limited to about 4 - 5 hours a day. This morning, my back absolutely refused to cooperate so I'm giving it a day off. Michael's still out there and I feel bad not being there to help somehow. Maybe tomorrow will be better. The tool shed is being built to last. We dug a 4 foot hole for the foundation and built it up with concrete block before back filling. Michael has a carpenter who rough framed the structure and a mason who did the concrete work. Now the base is being built up with stone work. In other words, we went out to the old rock walls and picked rocks of all shapes and sizes for build up the base to a height of about 4 feet. The mason did the first layer before he went on a 4 day Labor Day weekend and we've been continuing. He'll be surprised to see that he only has about another foot or so when he returns. Probably not happy either. The carpenter is a joke. Michael planned this with pressure treated lumber and come to find out, you need a special nail when you construct something using this lumber. Apparently the carpenter never knew that so we will have to re-nail everything as soon as the stone work is done and before the top layers of T 111 is nailed on. It'll be a cute structure.
Now that our "wedding" is done, we are waiting for Barb's niece Amber wedding day on the 9/19/09. Then we are free to go back to Florida. We'll lallygag our way back by stopping at the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio and possibly a quick visit to Pastor Mike & Judy in Hiawassee, Georgia. Barb hates to impose on anyone so I guess it'll be a quick visit. I just hope the hot dog days of summer are done in Florida when we return. With a little bit of luck.........
Today we're going to Angela's so that I can write down Byron's chili recipe. He claims that he just "throws it together" without measuring so I'll try to be a bit more accurate. I really love his chili! He usually serves it with his cornbread too which also is very good. Is Byron's better than David Fowler's? Well, just different.

No comments: